History of Jurjens

Timeline

1929 — Graham Jurjens is travelling the south coast of NSW as authorised tuner and Player Piano mechanic for W.H. Paling & Co. Sydney.
Advertisements appear in The Manaro Mercury and Cooma and Bombala Advertiser, South Coast Times and Wollongong Argus, The Kiama Independent, and Shoalhaven Advertiser, and The Nowra Leader.

1934 — Wollongong Council accepts Mr Jurjens’ tender of £9/9/- to repair the Town Hall piano.

1936 — Wollongong agent for Paling pianos as well as Victor radios from home at 36 Railway Street, Corrimal.

1938 — Agent for Winkworths 57a Keira Street Wollongong.

1939 — G.P. Jurjens Music store opened at 305 Crown Street Wollongong, with the help of his wife Etta – a music teacher in her own right. The store was an agent for Winkworth and Son pianos, in addition to selling a variety of musical instruments, sheet music, and records.

1941 — Etta Jurjens Music Studios upstairs at “Brandon House” 293a Crown St (cnr of Atchison St).

1974 — Richard & Valerie Smith

1984 — Brian and Valerie Jackson

Summary of known locations are listed below:

  • 36 Railway Street, Corrimal
  • 57a Keira Street Wollongong
  • 305 Crown Street, Wollongong
  • ‘Brandon House’, 293a Crown St (cnr of Atchison St) Wollongong
  • 1 Loftus Street, Wollongong
  • 232 Keira Street, Wollongong
  • Shop 22 Bridge Plaza, Batemans Bay
  • 261 Crown Street Wollongong
  • 277 Keira Street, Wollongong
  • 41a Yellagong Street, West Wollongong
  • Shop 3-4 / 101 Bellevue Road, Figtree
  • In addition, there was also for a time, Jurjens Shoalhaven Piano & Organ Centre